Progress So Far

  • Romance writer - Historical. Contemporary and Intrigue
  • 2 books written for HarperImpulse

Thursday 8 April 2010

And now for something a bit different...

Now the wedding and honeymoon is over it's back to the writing. But something a bit different for me. I've just written a short story! First one ever, and to be honest it was quite fun, and quite easy to do! I've always had a bit of a mental block when it came to short stories because I had always convinced myself that no way could I put together a story in so few words! I like to read short stories but I write books. 75k the norm. Not 1500 words.

But never say never. I decided to have a go and well...it worked. I finished one. The story is about a wedding (no really!) but it has a twist at the end. From my limited research into the short story market editors like stories with a twist in the tale - a lot.

My lovely CP Suzanne (Jones) had a read of it for me - because as we all know - she has been uber successful recently on the short story front - and well...she liked it! Yay!

So I'm going to fine tune it today and send it off to Take a Break Fiction Feast and see where it goes. Probably back in the SAE - but hey - nothing ventured nothing gained.

On a serious note I did enjoy writing it, mainly because "The End" came a whole lot sooner than writing a book. And it was good to craft a story from beginning to end in a matter of days rather than months. I'm currently taking 7 months to write a book and that's a long time before I see the light at the end of the tunnel. The short story also focussed my mind on the nitty gritty details of writing as I had to think a whole faster as to where the story was going and how it would end. With a book you can just write it and edit later, layering / deleting etc. With the SS it has to be "right" more or less from the outset, otherwise you don't have a story. And as I said it was nice to see a final resolution in a matter of days with the short story.

Anyway enough wittering. Fingers crossed. and happy writing. This weekend it's back to the wip - book. Take care. Caroline x

6 comments:

  1. Actually Caroline, I didn't just like it - I completely LOVED it. And I'll be keeping everything crossed because it deserves a home.

    BTW I've nominated you for a Beautiful Blogger award. If you want to accept, copy the badge on my recent post.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh thanks Suzanne. Luv ya babes! Caroline x p.s Thanks for the nomination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caroline,
    It's been years since I have written a short story. So don't ask me. lol...

    So you're an old married woman now, eh? lol How does it feel?

    All the best and so much success with your work,

    It will happen, believe me.
    Suzanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay on the short story! I feel a bit like that, as though I wouldn't be able to tell the whole story in so few words. Then again, I'm not as adventurous as you--I haven't even tried.

    If Suz loves it, you're onto a winner. She's a fantastic CP :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the short story, Caroline. Let us know how it does.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Suzanne, Joanne and Rachael. Thanks for stopping by and for the words of encouragement. Like I said in the blog - once I got going on the short story I found it kind of wrote itself - lol. Take care everyone. Love Caroline x

    ReplyDelete