Progress So Far

  • Romance writer - Historical. Contemporary and Intrigue
  • 2 books written for HarperImpulse

Friday 26 February 2010

Fishguard Writing Course

As I said earlier this week, I had a blast in Fishguard last weekend. Kate Walker's writing weekend is a must for those of you serious about learning the craft of romance writing.

I learnt SO much. Yes I've read a lot of "How To" books - Kate's included - but there is no substitute for the real thing. Kate was so giving of her time - even though on Saturday evening (when she didn't have to btw) she gave us an additional workshop when she clearly wasn't feeling the best.

One of the things that was clear to most of us was that we all felt we would benefit from an advanced course on romance writing; and I believe this is going to happen. So armed with my £10.00 deposit I've booked myself on next year's course (God willing) and I can't wait to meet Kate again for "Part 2".

What did I learn? Loads and loads. Too much to blog about. The main thing? I need to get my bum on the seat and write. So saying that I have been good this past week and as of 8pm this evening I've typed an extra 8k on the current wip. This is good, as I have serious issues with the word count on this wip. I still need to find another 9k or so. But this is dooable. I need to layer in description/character/background etc. so I'm hopeful of making up the shortfall.

Take care. Caroline x

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great weekend, Caroline. Glad you had such a blast and so much food for thought. Get writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the hardest thing is to just sit down and do it. So well done you, for getting going again. looking forward to a signed copy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Judy! I am being good honest!

    Hi Judith - thanks for the vote of confidence - may be one day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brilliant weekend - I'm not surprised you're already looking forward to next year.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Go you on your extra words, Caroline. I so wish I could go to a residential weekend with Kate, but alas I have too many children :-)

    Glad you had a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Suzanne and Joanne - it was great! A real rocket up the ar*e to get me writing! Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on that 8K! Have you done the rest now? You'v ebeen quiet a few days, so I'm guessing that's a good sign that you're writing instead of blogging, lol!

    Is this the WIP where you were short 15K at the end?

    I'm working on that older ms of mine at the moment too, adding and changing scenes, so I know where you're coming from. Some days it's like blood from a stone, the Manuscript That Didn't Want to be Finished, and other days it flies. Really flies. Hope that's how it's been for you since Fishguard.

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've sent you a happy cupcake award! (Don't eat it all at once).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jane - yup - I am trying to be v good at the moment - not too much blogging and more writing. And yes you are right again I'm trying to make up the 15k deficit on the latest wip! 7k to go as of last night! Happy writing! Caroline x

    ReplyDelete